Thursday, April 8, 2010

Sloppy Joes

{This recipe is a work in progress. It is good as is, but I am always tweaking things for more oomph. let me know if you make it, I love suggestions}


1 lb beef
1/2 large onion, chopped
1/2-1 tsp minced garlic - to taste
1 can tomato sauce
1/3 cup ketchup
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp season salt

optional:
1/2 cup water
3 Tbs quick cook oatmeal
(I am going to try a new filler next time I make this recipe, using 1-3 cups finely shredded cabbage. Inspired by this recipe, which received RAVE reviews. )

Brown beef. Add onions and garlic to pan and saute until translucent
Mix in remaining ingredients and simmer for 30 minutes. Serve on buns and enjoy.

3 comments:

Brad and Jenna said...

Oatmeal? To add volume? Can you taste it?

Andrea said...

This is the first time I have made it, but I think it adds a little bonding and thickness, kind of like a meatloaf. When I first put it in I was worried it would stand out, but the after simmering you couldn't tell it was there. Good for fiber, I guess. :) It just makes anything sound healthier if there is oatmeal in it!

Kristin @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia said...

Looks so yummy! Thanks for stopping by, glad you like the music :)