Thursday, July 23, 2009

Breaded Zucchini Fries



I have some serious zucchini love. You have to love it to commit the proper spelling to memory...anyway... I first learned how yummy it could be when my mom made fried zucchini.

Now I still love the stuff, but not the frying it in butter part, so I wanted to share this recipe posted by Erica at Favorite Family Recipes that takes some of the guilt out of this tasty indulgence:


1-2 large zucchini, cut into spears or circles (the zucchini we had was HUGE so we just used one)
2 eggs
1-2 Tbsp. milk
1 c. Italian-style bread crumbs or croutons blended up finely in a blender (we ran out of bread crumbs so we did the crouton thing)
1/2 c. parmesan cheese
Salt and Pepper to taste
Butter or cooking spray

First, line a baking sheet with foil and spray evenly with cooking spray. Next, combine eggs and milk in a bowl. In a separate bowl, combine bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, and salt & pepper. Dip each zucchini piece into the egg mixture, then dip into bread crumbs until evenly coated in crumbs. Place zucchini on baking sheet, spray each with cooking/butter spray and then bake in the oven at 425-degrees for about 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. For an added crisp, turn the oven to broil and cook for about 30-45 seconds longer (don't let em' burn though, watch them closely). Remove from oven and serve hot with ranch dressing or marinara/pizza sauce.

2 comments:

Debbie said...

Sounds like just what I'll need as my niece starts bringing me zucchini. Wondering, which condo at Bear Lake do you hang out at?

Bon Bon said...

Hey I made it tonight and it was just yummy! thanks for posting!